5.11.2009

Don't of the Week - 5/11

I've decided to add some little features on my blog that I'll do weekly or so. Dos and Don'ts seem pretty basic, and I've already experience my Don't of the week so I thought you should be advised.

I'll preface by saying that I love movies. And yes, I work at Blockbuster so I know a bit too much about them because of my job. But I also have been looking into movies and trying to watch everything that seemed interesting to me since I was old enough to comprehend stories. So, well, that's why my first Don't is a film.


Have you seen the movie Donnie Darko?
Even if you haven't, I'm sure you've heard of it, as it became an insta-hipster cult classic back in 2002. I personally loved the movie when I first saw it. It was different, and that's hard to find. And sure, the plot is completely obscure and unsatisfying for those who crave the Conflict/Resolution approach to filmmaking. But there were great actors, including Jake Gyllenhaal, and a weird story that scared you but also sucked you in.


Well, they decided to milk that by creating S. Darko, the "sequel" or...as they call it "A Donnie Darko Tale" which I hope doesn't mean they will be making more of these tales. They took a good thing that many people love and ruined with a story that doesn't even rival the original. If the story has been this choppy in DDor the characters so unrelatable, it definitely wouldn't have made it as far as it did. I urge people not to see this, specifically if they loved Donnie Darko. It will not answer any questions, it will not shock you or entrance you. It will probably bore you. The only thing I did like was the pretty camera shots they took of Daveigh Chase, who reprised her role and grew up quite nicely.

So there you have it folks. It's just my opinion, but I'm definitely going to stand by it.

Pictures from unrealitymag and iconsoffright

No comments:

Post a Comment