5.19.2009

Don’t of the Week –5/18

dock

I wonder if I will always be starting with a don’t…

My don’t this week seems fairly simple but it’s easier said then done:
DO NOT STRESS OUT!

I am a huge worrywart and stresser-outter and I must say, it is not a good way to be. I mean, I am about to embark on the rest of my life, and it’s very exciting. However, I find myself stuck in more drama in the last two days than I have been in the last two months at school. Perhaps I am blowing things out of proportion considering I’m in this strange emotional/mental state. But…no matter what, I’m encouraging all of you to take a breather!

I don’t know about you, but I tend to carry the woes of others on my shoulder. I got it from my mom. We care about and love our friends and we don’t want anyone to be upset. But we tend to act like therapists when we aren’t strong enough ourselves and start carrying everyone else’s problems around on top of our own.

If you do this, or if you do anything that hinders you from having a wonderful time no matter what you are doing, then I am urging you to take a break. We will always find something to worry or stress about, and we will do so. It’s only natural. But if you can do anything for a little bit such as:

  • Lay outside and soak in the sunshine with your headphones
  • Cook or eat one of your favorite meals
  • Hug your mom, dad, sister, boyfriend, puppy, stuffed animal, pillow…
  • Watch a TV show on Hulu
  • Take a nap
  • Take a ride to a playground and sit on the swings for a bit
  • Cry, Scream, Laugh

then please…do it! It is my birthday and I am overloaded with things to think about. But I’m going to get some Chinese, maybe a fruity drink or two, and relax with some great friends.

Remember to be a little selfish sometimes. Your good friends will still be there when you’re done. Your family will always be there. And there will be more worries another day that you’ll avoid as well.

Take it easy, folks :)

And in the words of Hot Chip: “Don't want all this cold cold shit,
throw off your shirt and let's get hot hot hot.”

Image from Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment