11.09.2011

Behind the Scenes of my “Black Swan” Costume

I am still coming down from the fun I had dressing as the Black Swan for Halloween. It is, by far, the best costume I’ve worn in my life (so far). I put way more effort into this than I ever have for pretty much anything like this before. It wasn’t from a bag. I bought separate pieces and visited craft stores (I largely dislike craft stores). I thought I’d share some pictures from the “making of” process, which involved lots of feathers, fabric and hot glues, and Brad’s ability to sew.

blackswanfeatherglueblackswanrhinestonesblackswanmidwayblackswancrownblackswancrown2blackswancrownpaintblackswantutubeltblackswanbradsews

I can’t thank The Sorry Girls on YouTube enough. If I hadn’t found their how-to videos, this costume probably wouldn’t have had a chance. Before I found it, I was staring at a leotard and a bag of feathers, utterly overwhelmed and confused. My favorite part might be the crown, which I also learned about from their channel. Instead of settling for an (expensive) tiara I’d never use again, I got to utilize hot glue sticks I already had and it looked so much like the actual crown in the movie. Loved it.

blackswanmakeupblackswanmakeupprep

The makeup was another favorite part. There were LOTS of tutorials on YouTube to choose from, but I found this one from Dezired Beauty to be the most helpful and beautiful. I’ve done it so many times that I don’t need to refer to the video anymore.
I so wish I could do my makeup like that everyday…le sigh.

As appreciative as I am for the YouTube videos, I couldn’t have done it without Brad.
He tolerated the feathers that ended up everywhere, the tulle wrapped around everything, the hot glue melting away on paper plates, and the fact that I have no idea how to sew at all.
Without him, I probably wouldn’t have been able to get it done without having a minor nervous breakdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment