3.03.2011

A “The Weekend is So Close” Happy List

I’m putting it lightly when I say that the last couple of weeks have been tough. One of the lessons in the book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff (an amazing book I received as a birthday present from Brad last year that I couldn’t recommend more) is “Be Aware of the Snowball Effect of Your Thinking.” And it couldn’t be more true. When you’re in a good mood, everything seems perfect. You love your friends and family, your job, the weather, everything you’re doing. But when a bad mood strikes, that’s it. You hate everyone in your life and want to be alone. You curse yourself and feel like you can’t do anything right. Work sucks. People suck. The world sucks. Life sucks. It’s so easy to get sucked into the negative downward spiral of a bad mood…and it can totally consume your life.

I suppose that’s where I’ve been lately. Every ache and pain, which can be normal, gets my brain cogs moving in overdrive. My skin is annoyingly pubescent at the moment. Waking up is a dreaded and complicated process. The thought of wearing anything other than my Danskin comfy pants is exhausting.

I cannot just snap out of these things, unfortunately. It’s not in my blood, in my genes. But little steps help. Watching a movie with friends. Brad visiting me at home (it feels like I haven’t seen him in ages..). Reading happy blogs. Whatever. I’m hoping that, with a little extra help and some rallying inside of myself, I will snap back to the regular me…the one that randomly disappeared a couple of weeks ago.

window

But back to the original purpose of the post…the happy list! The good things in life! The silver lining in the cloud.

  • Gold Peak white tea with citrus
  • Community. I didn’t like it at first, but it really grew on me. Such a funny and happy show.
  • My Tuesday/Thursday TV nights with friends. Glee, Parks and Rec, Jersey Shore. Yes I watch the Jersey Shore. And I absolutely love it. Whatevah.
  • Ke$ha songs. This might get me in trouble too, and my boyf hates her. But they are so catchy and fun. Sometimes I just want to dance, forget about worries, listen to things that don’t drag me in deeper.
  • Peel-Off face masks
  • Planning outfits in my head for the weekend and fun times
  • Spring will be here soon enough
  • Planning out my summer vacation

No comments:

Post a Comment