1.08.2013

Recent Reads: Let’s Pretend this Never Happened (Book #1 of 2013)

Let's Pretend cover

Book #1 of my 52 books in 52 weeks challenge is finished!
I must admit, I started it on December 29…but I finished it on January 3rd. Counts to me.

I was first told about this book, a non-fiction humorous memoir, by Brad’s sister-in-law. I had kept it in the back of my head, and it continued to pop up everywhere, but I didn’t take the plunge until I was going through my Amazon Wish List and saw that it was $1.99 for the Kindle!
Needless to say, I bought it right then. I checked, and it’s gone up in price, so it must have been one of those daily deals. I’m lucky.

Though I love blogs, I’ve actually never visited The Bloggess, so Jenny Lawson’s writing was new to me.
I really enjoy funny writing and embarrassing life stories (all of David Sedaris, Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling, Mike Birbiglia, etc….), so I knew this would be an enjoyable read. And it (cue frequently used word throughout this book) totally was.

Jenny Lawson grew up in a tiny town in Texas, where dead animals, gun cabinets, and poisonous well water were the norm.
There’s enough material there to have made up the entire book, but she also shares stories about her immense anxiety (which I related to too much) her difficulty keeping a pregnancy, and her rheumatoid arthritis. I cringed, but there was always something to laugh about.

That’s the important part of life, and she makes that known. We all have those horribly embarrassing, awkward moments, but those are often what define our lives and make us who we are. The ones that stick with us, maybe require some therapy, but you wouldn’t be where you are, or who you are, without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment