1.15.2013

Get Well Soon

bed

If you’re like most of the people in the US right now, you’re currently suffering from a cold (me) or, even worse, the flu.
It’s that time of year, but unfortunately it is really sweeping the nation.
I think most of us have this tendency to pretend that we aren’t sick and in turn make ourselves worse.
It is the absolute pits to have a stuffy nose, sore throat, a fever, or…ugh…stomach issues.
But pretending they aren’t there won’t make it better, as we can see from the fact that everyone keeps getting the germies.

I am a huge proponent of taking care of yourself  physically and mentally. Okay, I might not exercise…ever…or eat the healthiest diet in the world, but my well-being is still important in general. We live in a world where it’s gogogogogogogogogo. And it’s totally unhealthy for every part of our bodies. Once in a while, you have to slow down…especially when you get sick (but not just when you’re sick).

Okay, I’m not a doctor, and you probably think I’m silly, but I’ve decided to write down a list of ways to take care of yourself when you’re down with the sickness. Well, my ways. I think they work, personally…but to each their own.

And by the way, these are totally acceptable ways to deal with the “funks” like anxiety and depression and general sad/bad moods.

Comfort Food

When you’re sick, often the last thing you think about is eating. Whether it’s loss of appetite or an inability to keep it down, food isn’t always a top priority. You have to make it one, though. My go to is soup. I eat soup pretty much everyday for lunch anyways, but it is soooo perfect for sick days. The heat is soothing to the senses, it’s filling without being heavy or requiring a lot of effort. Can’t go wrong. There’s also nothing wrong with a little toast and jelly. It’s something. It’s little, but it’ll help. If you can handle bigger meals, eat your favorites. Treat yourself to some Chinese take-out. That’s also really comforting for me. And don’t forget to drink! I always do. Water, OJ, and green tea with a generous amount of honey are my go-to sick beverages.

Bedtime!

Getting sick is your excuse to finally relax, to catch up on all the sleep you’ve been missing. Rest is one of the main ingredients needed to get better. The longer you push yourself, the longer your cold will stick around. You never give your body the time to replenish and renew. It may seem “lazy" but we all know we need a certain amount of sleep and that increases when you’re sick. Even if you aren’t exactly ready to get some shut-eye, sit in bed and read a book or catch up on your shows.

Fresh Air

It’s so easy to get stir-crazy when you stay in the house/feel sick/feel sad. Don’t let that happen! Fresh air, even if it’s cold, is so refreshing. You need it to cleanse the palate. And when you’re feeling sad, when it’s easy to just stay in bed or on the couch all day, a walk (or a jog if you can manage) can do wonders.

Surround Yourself with Positivity

Stream or play your favorite TV shows and movies. Listen to your favorite music. Read a book or magazine. Browse for inspiration on Pinterest or Tumblr. Window shop online. Create wish lists. Make sure to laugh and smile!

Shower

This probably seems like an obvious suggestion, but showering can seem like the last thing you wanna do when you’re sick or sad. Don’t let it get ya down. I don’t know about y’all, but my brain stops worrying once I’m in the shower. The steam and hot water is refreshing, and once you’re clean and you put on a set of fresh PJs, it’s like you’ve been reborn.

(This is my last and biggest piece of advice…)

STAY HOME

My biggest pet peeve is when people come to work/school/whatever sick. For starters, I know how I feel when I’m sick, and being around people or attempting to use my brain or socializing is the last thing I want to do. But, no one actually wants to get sick. You’re spreading germs to everyone around you. You’re sick, they get sick, their family gets sick. It’s a cruel thing to do, when you think about it. So, seriously, stay home. You’ll prevent the germs from spreading and you’ll ultimately feel better for taking some time to heal.

 

And those are my recommendations! What makes you feel better when you’re sick?

 

Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment