7.26.2011

A Love Letter…for my swimsuit…

089

As a girl/not-yet-a/woman, it can be a very daunting process to pick out a swimsuit. I will be the first to admit that I don’t have the perfect bikini body. I have hips, rolls when I sit slouched over (so, all the time), wobbly thighs…the usual soft and curvy bits. Being honest, I don’t hate my body. Would I like to be a bit more in shape? Certainly. But I want that for health’s sake. So that I know I’m treating my body right. So that I can walk up a flight of stairs without gasping for breath. So that I can lift slightly heavier things. So that I can keep a clear mind and strong body (none of this motivates me enough though, but that’s another story…).

Regardless of the overall comfort I have with my body, that doesn’t mean I want everything on display. I’m not that confident. The only problem is, if I wanted a one piece, or more coverage, I was going to have to try and find a bathing suit that didn’t have a big skirt attached to it like you’d see on your granny (nothing wrong with those, but come on…you can do better!). So I started to look into these retro, full-coverage (or mid-coverage, I guess) bathing suits. Let’s face it: shows like Mad Men really made old looks new again (the ever-growing obsession with thrifting doesn’t hurt either). Who wouldn’t love dressing for their curves, as opposed to trying to hide them?  The good thing is, finding these bathing suits aren’t so hard anymore. Even if you don’t want a full-blown retro look (the polka dots kind of sway you in that direction, among other things), many stores/designers are selling flattering and fresh one-pieces and high-rise bottoms (which I find particularly wonderful on bloat days).

But, this is a letter to my suit so I digress…

From the moment I went on ModCloth and spotted you…I knew you were the one. Thank goodness I had just gotten my Christmas bonus, because nearly 100 dollars was a bit much for me to spend on a suit (In the end, you were worth every penny). I didn’t know who Esther Williams was (I do now, and she’s awesome), but damn, does she make a good suit. I was a little nervous, going off of basic tape measurements and ordering online, just hoping that it would fit. I had ordered a bathing suit online last year and it didn’t work out very well. But still…I did it anyway. And when you came in the mail and I finally got to try you on…you fit like a glove! When I wear you, I feel comfortable, cute, sexy even! I don’t have to worry about wobbly bits or insecure days because the suit is insta-comfort and insta-cute. I can only hope every other girl gets lucky enough to find their perfect bathing suit, no matter what style, no matter their shape, like I did with you. Thank you for making summer 2011 just a little better with your presence.
Let’s keep this thing going, shall we?

P.S. Yes…I’m a nerd. We knew this already.

No comments:

Post a Comment