7.21.2011

Dinner Last Night: Stuffed Squash

Last night, I attempted to copy a dish my friend Dana used to make for dinner with the ladies. That dish is stuffed squash. Before we tried it, none of us would’ve probably picked the meal out on a menu. But Dana is a great cook, and so we all fell in love. It’s been a few years since the last time I had this dish, but I decided that I wanted to make it. Dana was nice enough to share the recipe with me, and I cooked the whole thing by myself as Brad watched and waited for dinner to be served.

IMG_7485

While Brad (and my sister) enjoyed the meal, I felt like I did something wrong. It looked beautiful and was insanely easy to make. However, I felt something was missing… A few mistakes I think I made? First, I used a jar of sauce. And I picked the sauce on a whim. I probably could’ve scoured the shelves for something better, but I settled on one and did nothing to enhance it. Dana included a quick sauce recipe, but I skipped that part out of laziness and I regret that. Second, I didn’t use onions once in the recipe. I’ve started to notice that when there’s a taste element missing, it’s probably onion! What else has that sweet and savory taste that can do the slightest bit to bump up a meal? Next time, it’s going in somewhere. And finally, the squash wasn’t cooked enough. I bought my squash at the farmer’s market and every one I got was HUGE. Even cutting it in half, it was still a bit thicker than the squash you’d find at the store. I contemplated getting new squash and ditching what I bought, but why waste money and produce? I need to either cook it longer in the oven, or soften it some other way.

My best advice? Wait for Dana to cook it up again and display it on her blog!!!

IMG_7464IMG_7468IMG_7476IMG_7489IMG_7493

P.S. Riunite makes everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment