12.07.2009

Nights and Weekends

NIGHTS AND WEEKENDSSaw a preview for this movie before How to Be and I was strangely intrigued. I’m open-minded about the types of movies I watch, but I typically can’t wrap my mind around super-quiet and awkward indie films. A part of me thought that’s what this was going to be like. But as far as this 78 minute movie goes, I was very pleased. There wasn’t a bit of score or music and I didn’t even realize it. The story and the characters make it so easy to watch.

Last week, I mentioned that I was starting to have a hard time believing in love. I should explain. I feel like no one really knows what love actually is anymore. In mainstream films, we see two people meet, fall in love pretty quickly, face some kind of problem, and have it solved in one big proclamation to live “happily ever after” (That might be one of the worst phrases ever). That would be nice. But it isn’t the whole truth. I believe there are those good moments when everything feels right with the world. But there’s also the raw, awkward part of love. This is something we all need to realize. That it isn’t always easy. That it isn’t like a fairy tale. And that most of the time, you’re probably going to have to deal with the shitty parts so that you can come out of it even better.

I just feel like everyone thinks they have to look for something perfect. I feel like everyone is afraid to be alone. I feel like there is love out there, flawed and fucked up as it may be. But no one believes that or wants to deal with it.

I liked this movie because it showed a side of love that needs to be shown. It’s not perfect, at all. It’s cute and funny and sad and awkward. That’s life.

I’d recommend it. It’s available to Watch Instantly on Netflix, if you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment