12.19.2009

My Fair Lady

Lady GaGa Bad RomanceI don’t know what it is. Is it the catchy songs? The extravagant outfits (or lack therof)? The shock factor? I am now a fan of Lady Gaga, full on. Before, I understood the hype but was outside of it, looking in. Now, I actually find myself enjoying her music and watching her videos.

I completely agree that she is crazy. But aren’t we all? She makes pop music art. Not many people do that anymore. I have to hear “3” by Britney Spears a thousand times a day at work and it is so completely over-processed with crappy lyrics and no emotion. I think Lady Gaga puts heart and soul and insanity into what she does, making it a bit weirder but still fun to dance to. Maybe it’s because she actually writes her songs (and they are almost believable. Is it wrong that, even though I enjoyed the song, “Single Ladies” bothered me because Beyonce is married and can’t relate to the song anymore?). And, have you noticed the sudden influx of leotards in music videos? If not, see here, here, and here. I think we can all credit Lady Gaga for that. And the 80s, but really no one has worn them for real since then. And, I guess they are easier to dance in.

I don’t know what it is. She’s marching to the beat of her own drummer and it’s working for her. Maybe it is because she’s unabashedly out of her mind. Maybe we don’t feel so crazy after all. Or maybe we just get sucked into catchy pop songs and we can’t help but watch celebrities who make us look.

lady-gaga-murdered-in-paparazzi-video-2

No comments:

Post a Comment