8.23.2011

Freaks and Geeks

freaksandgeeks1

I liked Freaks and Geeks the first moment I saw it, when it was actually still on television. I didn’t know a soul from the show (which is funny, because the “freak” men are basically household names now), but my whole family enjoyed it. It disappeared all too quickly, but luckily, TV shows started to get released on DVD and the show was no longer just a memory of the past.

My sister owns the series, and I’ve borrowed it a lot. I’ve been through the whole show (there are only 18 episodes, so it’s easy to do) at least 4 times. And I love it every time. It’s a toss up between happy and sad…when I come to the last few episodes, I get frustrated that I’ll never learn what happens with the characters I’ve come to love. It was a brilliantly written, funny, heartfelt show. If you haven’t watched it, I suggest you get around to it pronto.

The show was created by Paul Feig, who directed this year’s  hugely popular Bridesmaids. And, Judd Apatow (come on, you know who Judd Apatow is) wrote and directed several episodes, and produced the series. It stars Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel…these are all people who have become popular and successful quite a while after the release of the show (And I crush on Jason Segel then, now, and forever more). It’s so sad that it couldn’t have caught on earlier…if you love Apatow movies (which always mix a specific type of humor with heart), then you would love this show. The writing and acting are just brilliant. And since the show takes place in 1980, I love the clothes, the pop culture references, the music…it’s just so very good.

freaksandgeekspopfreakscurly

freaksbionic

freakssethandjason

freakscandids

freaksstoned

Just a few photos and screencaps from the show I found on WeHeartIt.

No comments:

Post a Comment