8.22.2011

Foodie Weekend

I am a seriously lucky girl to have a boyfriend who loves to cook!
This weekend was filled with lots of different and new home-cooked meals, all of which were very satisfying.
(Be warned, this is a picture-heavy post!)

As I mentioned in a previous post, Brad is following a “primal diet” and it limits a lot of things (namely wheat, gluten, and grains), so he has been especially cautious and creative in the kitchen. For me, it can be frustrating. But at the same time, I’ve become “accidentally primal,” and it’s been kind of fun. The best part is making things from scratch, of not relying on lots of boxes and processed foods. Organic meats and eggs, veggies and fruits, paying attention to what’s in everything you eat…there’s nothing wrong with that. And again, we get to be inventive. Brad, luckily, gets excited about experimenting with food. And he’s a fantastic cook, so I’m always left satisfied.

Brad and I have been craving pulled pork for quite a while, so we planned on doing it this past Saturday. The meat takes 4 hours to cook, so we loaded up on Mad Men episodes (we are newbies to the show, only on the 1st season yet!) in the meantime. I thought it’d be a good idea to make a crunchy and tart slaw to put on top of the meat (I did eat my pork on a bun, Brad did not). So we grabbed a bag of Wegmans Broccoli Slaw, and Brad mixed apple cider and balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and Dijon mustard. Why yes, it was delicious.

IMG_7688IMG_7689IMG_7697IMG_7700

The pork was insanely good. It just fell apart…slow-cooking is fantastic. And the slaw complimented it perfectly. Yum.

For Sunday morning breakfast (one of my favorite times of the week), Brad snagged a recipe from his brother, and baked these bacon and egg “cupcakes.” It’s a fairly simple recipe. Eggs, Bacon, and garlic and tasty spices make this a delicious and hearty breakfast, while still maintaining and bit of surprise and changing it up a little.

IMG_7708IMG_7720IMG_7725

We weren’t sure what to make for dinner, but a co-worker had recently mentioned chicken breasts stuffed with spinach and feta. Needless to say, it sounded delicious and I couldn’t get it out of my mind. Luckily, it’s pretty primal so we went for it.

IMG_7730IMG_7737IMG_7744

The chicken breasts were cooked in a pan with sautéed onions…it was delicious. Everything was cooked perfectly. I topped mine off with some Ore-Ida roasted potatoes. Not exactly primal, I know, and I could’ve just bought some potatoes and done it myself. But Brad isn’t really a potato guy (yes, an Irishman who doesn’t really like potatoes…), so I figured I’d take the easy route. Excellent Sunday dinner.

We had such a good weekend trying out different recipes, all of which turned out incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment