8.25.2011

Five Fingers

barefootClick picture for link to source.

I am not an athletic girl. I never was, and I never really will be. Sure, I did cheerleading and basketball in elementary school, when you didn’t have to try out…you were just part of the team. And I’ve gone on fitness kicks (very short ones…) here and there. I never really had much need for serious sneakers. In fact, when I first went to college and realized I would have access to a gym, I settled for a crappy, cheap pair of sneakers at Payless. That was back in 2005. I was still wearing them just a month ago, in near-mint condition because of how rarely I used them. But I knew I would have to go for something more.

Brad quit smoking as a birthday present. It’s really all I wanted. And with that, he ultimately became interested in being healthy overall. We definitely had “relationship guts.” We just didn’t care what we ate (so we ate a lot of Chinese and a lot of wings). Needless to say, when you start to gain weight, you don’t feel so great about yourself. So Brad went primal, and suddenly got interested in a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. I hadn’t heard about them until he mentioned it, but now they seem to be popping up everywhere.

When he went to go pick up his pair, I was sort of teasing him. The shoes are a little silly looking, you have to admit. I thought for sure that the workers at the shoe store were going to laugh behind his back. (I’m cruel, apparently.) But everyone is so excited about these sneakers. So Brad got his and then convinced me to try on a pair.

I needed new sneakers, and these seemed simple enough. Barefoot technology. There aren’t as many options so it’s not so scary or confusing. When I finally put on a shoe, it fit like a glove. I love the feeling of being barefoot, but with the support and traction of a sneaker. Now, Brad and I go to the gym a few times a week. It’s a small start to a life of fitness and healthy eating and being aware of my behavior. But I can feel improvements already. I love the challenge of cardio and of weights (Thank you, Planet Fitness!). I just feel better, and I keep getting better. It’s silly, maybe, but I kind of have to thank the Five Fingers. And Brad, of course.

002

I own the Bikila shoes (I just had to get the loudest color). Brad has the KSOs. We are both obsessed. No turning back here.

No comments:

Post a Comment