2.28.2011

Oscars 2011 Recap

I can’t express enough how much I adore the Academy Awards. I don’t make much time for any other award show but this. Even if I haven’t seen half the movies, even if the hosts are lame, even if the people I want to win lose…I love them. I wish there were some reason I’d be able to attend them one day. Perhaps it’s because it seems to be a classy, drama-free and respectful night for the arts. There are puns but hardly any low blows. Everyone is dressed nicely. Everyone claps and supports one another. In an otherwise gossip-filled Hollywood, the Oscars seem to be a positive night for actors. It’s about the work (Okay, and the outfits) for once. But okay, let’s focus on the dresses (there seems to be a running theme of purples and creams).

oscarsmila1

Mila Kunis in Elie Saab

Should I have saved the best for last? Ehh, whatever. I think it’s safe to say that Mila stole the top spot for Best Dressed on many a list. The moment I saw her, I knew right away. It was a pretty perfect Mila Kunis Oscars dress. It was unlike the rest, sexy, pretty, gorgeous, classy, and show-stealing. She showed a lot of skin/body, but it was still elegant. Loved it.

oscarscate2

Cate Blanchett in Givenchy

There’s something about Cate Blanchett. She is very different, from her facial features to her short hairdo…she can’t just settle for a simple, pretty gown. This has structure and style. It’s classic and gorgeous and formal, but there’s something funky about the shoulders and beading. I don’t know who else would be able to pull this off, but she did, wonderfully.

oscarshailee3

Hailee Steinfeld in Marchesa

This is the perfect Oscars dress for a 14 year old. I didn’t get to see True Grit yet, but I cannot wait to see Hailee’s performance. The way she handled herself last night was perfect. I hope (and believe) that she will continue to be a classy young lady. This is an adorable tutu-esque dress (that she helped design!) that screams youth and class all at once.

oscarsmichelle4

Michelle Williams in Chanel

Michelle Williams, how desperately you make me want to chop all my hair off again. Unfortunately I don’t think I will look as fantastic and ethereal and delicate as you. This dress was quite simple in its shape, but it complimented her entire look so well. I was jealous of her the whole night.

oscarsnatalie5 
Natalie Portman in Rodarte

My girl won last night! Okay, we all saw it coming. She was probably getting sick of making so many acceptance speeches. But good for her! Black Swan was honestly the greatest film she’s ever done, and Nina was by far her best role. I’m glad she is winning for it…it was a once in a lifetime performance. As a huge fan, I’m proud of her. Her dress may not be the flashiest but it’s elegant and it seemed perfect for her ever-growing shape. When she first arrived, she seemed so uncomfortable and her man had to help her on stage, simply because her bump is growing. I’m so glad she had such a perfect maternity dress. A lot of people gave her crap for the Golden Globes Viktor and Rolf gown, and now they can zip their lips.

 

 

Now I just need to see a ton of movies. The show was yet another reminder of how pathetically behind I let myself get.

No comments:

Post a Comment