2.13.2013

An Ode to Lena Dunham

lena

I first fell for Lena Dunham back in 2011. This isn’t me being like “I SAW HER FIRST” because it is nothing like that at all.
I heard about Lena Dunham through my nearly lifelong crush/idol Natalie Portman, who had commented on Lena’s film Tiny Furniture in a very positive way. My interests were piqued immediately. And as I read more and more Entertainment Weekly I began hearing more and more about this up and coming writer/director/address and the support and accolades she was receiving  from so many people, including one of my favorites (and eventually Exec Producer of Girls) Judd Apatow, I just kept searching for the movie (small town, small movie, no go), which didn’t come out until maybe the end of 2011/2012 on Netflix and eventually DVD.

But really, the moment I knew I loved her was when I read a certain tweet she had posted that still sticks with me and makes me laugh.

tweet

I admired the honesty and humor in this post. And, considering I’m a girl with a vagina, I could totally relate.
This was something out-of-the-norm for me to witness on the internet. Do my friends and I talk openly about things like this? We absolutely do. But to have someone out there reppin’ that aspect of female life was so admirable. I was excited for the things to come…and obviously it was worth the wait.

There’s been a lot of crap out there about Lena Dunham and about Girls. The nepotism (everyone is related to someone famous, blah blah), the awkward and frank sexuality and…GASP…Lena’s naked boobs on a regular basis.
None of that matters to me.

For one, having “famous” parents might get you started in life…but it won’t keep something going.
Critics and audiences alike adore the show for a variety of reasons. It’s humor, it’s honesty, how raw it is.
It (and she) deserved the Golden Globes it got…I was so happy!

I also happen to love every awkward bit of sex and relationship situations that happen on the show. THIS IS LIFE. It’s not candlelight hazy. Sex isn’t always this romantic and beautiful thing. And even if it feels like it, it certainly doesn’t look that way on the outside.
If I was watching the show and I wasn’t personally relating to it, I was able to remember a relevant story from one of my friends’ life.

And, briefly on the topic of Lena’s nudity…I don’t care at all about it. In fact, I admire her for it. I admire how comfortable she is with her body. I admire that she doesn’t feel the need to wear makeup all the time just because she’s on a High-Def camera. She is beautiful and real and beautifully real and that’s what the world needs: to stop comparing ourselves to glamour girls, as well as impossible relationship situations and perfect friendships.

What I’ve taken out of Girls is how selfish I can be, how we all can be, how entitled we often feel.
It’s made me reflect on life, on my flaws, and contemplate and appreciate them.

When I was in junior high, I was obsessed with Friends. I thought that, when I grew up, I was going to have an awesome apartment with my best friend and that I had this wonderful group of people to drink coffee with and share my life with.
As I’ve grown up, I’ve realized that this is highly unrealistic.

I couldn’t be happier to have Lena Dunham in this world, making her mark.
She’s a year older than me and she is sharing the word about what it’s like to be unemployed, to try and maintain relationships in such a digital/social media heavy age, to be completely self-involved as people come and go out of our lives. Love, sex, friendship, the rest of our lives.She talks about things that I’m experiencing and I couldn’t be more thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment