5.17.2013

Recent Reads: Will Grayson, Will Grayson (Book 18 of 2013)

willgrayson

I almost feel like reading a book written by (even half) John Green is sort of like cheating on my challenge. The reason I feel this way is because I freaking love him and his work and it’s a given that I will stay thoroughly entertained and amused enough to finish in less than a week. My last book took over 10 days. This one took about 5. I needed a boost to get back in tune with the challenge (I’m a book behind, but I’m not worried about it), and this was it.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson was co-written by John Green and David Levithan (who wrote this intriguing book), and tells the story of two teenagers with the exact same name who meet on the streets of Chicago one winter night. They are tied together, eventually, by the force of Tiny Cooper, a 300+ lb gay teenager who is best friends with Will Grayson #1 (I say #1 because his chapter is first…the story is told in alternating chapters). The circumstances under which the Wills meet is a tough one, and it leads to the real meat of the story.

I don’t know how to explain the story without giving it away. I liked not knowing much.

Even though the story is told from the prospective of two different guys, one gay and one straight, the book stays consistent. It never feels like it doesn’t flow, it’s got a really nice rhythm. And I was completely invested in both Wills’s stories. It’s possible I’d only like one of the characters and have to force myself into the other. But not the case.

I can’t express enough how much I love and would recommend anything John Green has a hand in.
This book was full of heart and humor, and who doesn’t want to read a fun but meaningful book?

No comments:

Post a Comment